Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Another surgery?

This question has been eating at me for the past 3 months. Do we get another implant for Logan in his left ear? The question seems obvious, since he's deaf in both ears, wouldn't you have implants in both ears? I wish the answer was that simple. There are pros and cons to both situations. The research out there on a child with one implant verses a child with two really isn't that different. It seems that the main advantage he would have would be localization, being able to distinguish where sounds are coming from. I have been losing A LOT of sleep over this (hence the 1:00 am post) and can't seem to know what is best. We have seen more progress than we ever expected in this short amount of time with just the one implant, so part of me wonders if he needs two. I asked Logan tonight if he wanted another "ear" on his other ear. His face lit up and he shook his head. If only he fully comprehended all that that would entail...or maybe he does. The ideal situation would be to see how he's progressing in 5 years and decide then, but that isn't practical. If we are going to do it, we'd like to do it before we move in June. I really want to make the right decision for him. Part of me remembers his surgery day and the horror of it all. I can't bear to see him go through that again, although I realize that is a small price to pay for the reward in the end. Jake and I have decided to make a decision by Thursday night and take that decision to the Lord.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails