Friday, March 7, 2008

UGHHHHHH!

I'm so done with all of this! I received a call from the audiologist yesterday stating that the team of audiologists at UCLA have decided that they are not going to submit to insurance to do the second implant. I was shocked. I didn't understand why we didn't have a say in the matter, especially when, according to his latest audiogram, he really could go either way with getting the surgery done. When I asked why they decided not to go ahead with it she said it was because they believed he would not benefit from the second Implant...WHAT? That makes no sense, of course he would benefit from it. Right now the sole purpose of having just a hearing aid in that ear is to help with localization and to help with what is called the "cocktail setting" (meaning, being able to focus on a conversation and localize in a crowded/noisy environment, like a cocktail party). I witnessed Logan in that type of situation just last week and he wasn't hearing a thing. I was a foot away from him and he couldn't hear me call his name. I feel like I need to try to appeal this, seeing him at home, I know that he needs more.

When Logan had first lost the remaining of his hearing, at 18 months old, I tried and tried to convince the doctors that he had become worse. It took them a year to even consider that that could have happened. Looking back now I wished I had done more, been more persistent, been more demanding. I feel like Logan missed out on a crucial time for language development because I wasn't "mean" enough. Because of this, I feel like this time I need to go with my gut and get done what I feel my son needs.

I'm not sure how to do this, or if I even can. I thought I was going to have to convince the insurance company to do this, not my audiologist. I feel as though I am up against a wall.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Go with your gut feeling, Celeste. Mom's have away of knowing. If you feel like this is what he needs, then go after it. Easier said than done, I know. But you are one amazing person and if anyone can get this done, you can. If it's right, the Lord will open up the way when you've done all you can do. Good Luck!

Drew's Mom said...

I agree with Kathy. Mom's know what is best for their child.

Go with the gut, get second, third, fourth opinions. We're here for support. We have a ton of links to research on the benefits of bilateral implants on our blog (look under tags for bilateral implants). Maybe that will convince the audi?

the youngs said...

What a total frustration! I agree that if anyone can get this done, it is Team Cragun! (By the way, I love this blog...I didn't know you were doing it.)

Kauan Tyler's Mom! said...

My son was implanted at UCLA last October, and it was really difficult to "convince" his audiologist that he needed two implants instead of just one. She told us several times that she didn't want Kauan to have bilateral implants because we should "save" one ear for future technology. It was crazy, but we told her that it was our decision to go ahead with the bilateral CI and that we knew what was best for him and our family. It was tough... we had a hard time with UCLA. Now, after a few bad mappings at UCLA we switched to HEI and I'm so happy with our new audiologist, she's wonderful and we can see how much Kauan has improved since we started seeing her. Don't give up... ask them to repeat tests, talk to them again... do whatever you have to do to get what is best for your son.
Isabelle

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails